Thursday, 25 August 2011

Redcurrant and Apple Jelly

Since I've been off work for two days with a chest infection, and am now feeling a little better, I have decided to use up the 2lbs of redcurrants that have been in the fridge. After the success I had with my rhubarb, apple and ginger jam recently I decided to make use of the bargains from my local 'strawberry shop', to be found on the road from Perth to Blairgowrie. Two huge punnets of redcurrants for £3, what a bargain.

I dumped the whole lot (after a long time removing the tiny twigs) plus 4 Bramley apples into my preserving pan with about a litre of water and simmered for about an hour and a half. Then I got my potato masher and pounded the whole lot to a pulp. Then strained and reserved the liquid into a measuring jug. I ended up with about a litre and a half of juice after giving the pulp a second mashing, just to get as much as possible from the fruit. Rinse out the pan and return the juice to the pan along with the sugar. Use about 1lb per every 5-600mls of liquid. No need to use preserving sugar as there is pectin in the apples. Warm slowly until all the sugar is dissolved. Use the back of the spoon to see if all the granules have dissolved. Then boil until setting point is reached. Use a jam thermometer or put a plate into the freezer and after boiling the liquid for 10 mins put blob onto cold plate and when it is fully cold it should stay firm when pushed with your finger. If not return to heat for a minute and test again until ready. Put into sterilised jars, top with wax disks and tight lids.




No comments:

Post a Comment